Softball

Syracuse’s comeback falls short in 7-5 loss to Pittsburgh

Joe Zhao | Asst. Photo Editor

After surrendering six runs in the first inning, Syracuse’s comeback effort fell short in its rubber match against Pittsburgh. SU is now two spots out of an ACC Tournament appearance.

Trailing by six in the second inning, Syracuse wasn’t fazed by its disastrous start to the game. Makenzie Foster and Kelly Breen hit singles and the Orange then loaded the bases after Rebecca Clyde walked.

Pitt starter Olivia Stefanoni continued her struggles, walking Madelyn Lopez, which brought Foster home to score SU’s first run. With one of the best opportunities to close the gap, Angel Jasso, who had seven hits across the series, stepped up again for Syracuse with a two-run single. The Orange cut their deficit to 6-3, but they couldn’t make up for their slow start throughout the rest of the game.

In the final game of its three-game series against Pitt Sunday, Syracuse’s (21-20, 5-13 Atlantic Coast Conference) comeback effort fell short in its 7-5 loss to Pittsburgh (15-29, 6-15 ACC). After losing the series, SU is the No. 12 seed in the conference standings — two spots behind ACC Tournament eligibility. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh now possesses the No. 11 seed and is close to qualifying for the ACC Tournament as the final team in.

Saturday’s matchup showcased Syracuse’s offensive prowess, as the team blasted three homers and recorded 16 hits. Though, in the final game of the series — after the teams split the first two contests — the Panthers opened fire in the first inning.

As Kat Rodriguez stole second, Cami Compson — who hit home runs on Friday and Saturday — hit another long ball to give Pittsburgh a two-run lead. Then, Desirae Martinez hit a solo homer to center field, extending Pitt’s lead.

KK Esparza kept the Panthers’ momentum going with a single up the middle, prompting the Orange to sub Lindsey Hendrix into the circle. Despite the pitching change, Pitt’s Rachael Fuerst blasted a homer on Hendrix’s first pitch, establishing a 5-0 lead with just one out.

The Panthers’ threat didn’t end there. Ana Hernandez then hit Pitt’s fourth home run in the first inning. Syracuse eventually got the third out thanks to Breen, who retired Macy Hamilton with a clean throw to first base.

After SU didn’t score in the top of the frame, Pittsburgh extended its lead to 7-0 in the bottom of the second. After Hendrix conceded a walk, Kylie Griggs stole second despite getting caught in a pickle. Amanda Ramirez then sent Griggs home on a single to right center field.

Though that was the last time the Panthers scored, allowing Syracuse to cut into its deficit. The Orange had two decent chances to score in the third and sixth innings, but they couldn’t capitalize.

Syracuse remained scoreless until the final inning. Taylor Posner opened up the frame with a single to the left side. Madison Knight, who pitched the later three innings of the game, ripped a home run, bringing Syracuse’s deficit to 7-5. Though Pitt pitcher Adriana Romano settled down, ending SU’s comeback effort to seal a crucial series win for the Panthers.