ON CAMPUS

SU confirms that student has contracted bacterial meningitis

Common symptoms of bacterial meningitis are nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and altered mental state.

A Syracuse University student was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis and is currently in medical care, according to a campus-wide email sent by an SU Health Services official Monday.

Karen Nardella, medical director of SU Health Services, said in the email that the student who was diagnosed has left campus and is being treated near their hometown. The university notified all students who live with the student or may have come into contact with the student, and is treating those students with antibiotics, per the email.

Common symptoms of bacterial meningitis are nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and altered mental state, per the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Nardella said students who have not been contacted by health services do not need antibiotics.

Bacterial meningitis is the inflammation of membranes that shield the brain and spinal cord, Nardella said. People often spread bacterial meningitis on college campuses through saliva or spit, according to the CDC. It generally takes three to seven days for symptoms of the disease to show, per the center.

SU said that it has been in contact with the Onondaga County Health Department and New York State Department of Health to keep the campus community informed about the meningitis situation.

During the 2017-18 academic year, 54 people were diagnosed with mumps and more than 90 people had “probable” mumps cases. Each student confirmed to have contracted the disease was required to be quarantined for up to five days.

More than 10 years ago, bacterial meningitis outbreaks on the SUNY Oswego and Cornell University campuses led to the death of an Oswego freshman and hospitalization of two Cornell students.