UNIVERSITY POLITICS

SU tops annual fundraising goal by nearly $90,000

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

A single donor, Daniel D’Aniello and his wife, Gayle, gave $20 million. They pledged $500,000 during the Boost the 'Cuse campaign.

Syracuse University exceeded its $150 million fundraising goal for Fiscal Year 2018 by nearly $90,000, the university announced this week.

Donations totaled $150,087,407, which was almost 20 percent more than the fundraising goal for Fiscal Year 2017, per a Monday SU News release.

The donations included gifts from individuals, foundations and organizations.

More than $24 million of total funds raised were earmarked for Invest Syracuse, a five-year, $100 million fundraising plan intended to improve the university’s academics and student experience. Invest Syracuse initiatives include student scholarships and a plan to hire 100 new faculty members.

Of the FY 2018 donations, a single $20 million came from alumnus and Navy veteran Daniel D’Aniello and his wife, Gayle. Their donation will help fund the National Veterans Resource Complex. The NVRC is expected to cost $62.5 million, so the D’Aniellos’ donation funds about a third of the total cost. The D’Aniellos’ donation was one of the single largest gifts in SU history.

Boost the ‘Cuse, SU’s first 24-hour fundraising campaign in October 2017, brought in more than $1.7 million in gifts from about 3,560 donors, exceeding its donor goal by 190 percent. D’Aniello pledged $500,000 during the Boost the ‘Cuse campaign.

SU received a 37 percent increase in single donations of more than $1 million, according to the release.

Some major donations include:

• A $5.25 million gift from University Life Trustee Daniel Mezzalingua and his wife, Kathy, in support of undergraduate financial aid
  • $3.5 million from Kwang Tan to help fund renovations on Archbold Gymnasium
  • A $2.3 million donation from University Life Trustee John Riley and his wife, Diane, to create an endowed scholarship fund for a dual degree in the College of Engineering and Computer Science and the Martin J. Whitman School of Management
  • $2.28 million from University Life Trustee Bill Allyn and his wife, Penny, to partly fund the Bill and Penny Allyn Innovation Center at the College of Engineering and Computer Science