George Langford to step down as dean of College of Arts and Sciences in June

UPDATED: Dec. 12, 9:57 p.m.

George Langford, the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, announced Wednesday that he will step down from his position on June 30.

Langford, who was appointed dean in 2008, plans to teach, conduct research and mentor students in his specialty of cell biology and neuroscience following his deanship, according to a Wednesday SU News Release.

Interim Chancellor Eric Spina will appoint Langford to be a distinguished professor of neuroscience at SU, Spina said. Before coming to SU, Langford taught at Dartmouth College and was a distinguished professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, which Spina said influenced his decision to give him the title.

“He’s a very distinguished scholar and just looking at the way other universities treated him before he came here, we knew he needed a title that would measure up to his accomplishments,” Spina said.

After taking a one-year sabbatical to pursue research interests, Langford said he will return to his research facility at SU, where undergraduates can intern and complete research projects. While serving as dean, Langford said he missed having first-hand interactions with students, so he is “very excited” to return to the classroom.

“There’s no perfect time to end one’s time as a dean, but when I looked around at what was happening at the institution, the fact that we have a new chancellor coming on board, I think it’s essential that we have a chancellor weigh in on who serves as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, so I thought it was a good time,” Langford said.

During his time as dean, Langford said he feels one of his greatest accomplishments was the creation of Integrated Learning Majors, where students can study different cross disciplinary majors at the same time – similar to being a dual major. The program was made available for forensic science, energy, neuroscience and ethics majors, he said.

He also noted creating the Syracuse Biomaterial Institute, developing the Forensic and National Security Sciences Institute and a new neuroscience graduate program as other accomplishments during his tenure. He added that one of his main goals was to maintain the college’s tradition of providing a “strong liberal arts education.”

“This is an exciting and dynamic time for The College of Arts and Sciences and for Syracuse University,” Langford said in the release. “I am extremely proud of what has been accomplished during my tenure in this challenging period of adjustment to new technologies, new teaching paradigms and new financial realities.”

Since assuming his role as dean, Langford said he witnessed the College of Arts and Sciences grow in size, which he attributes to the school’s variety of majors and students seeing the school as a more attractive option.

In response to a growing enrollment rate, Spina said Langford worked closely with his faculty to ensure that the school appointed strong faculty in all departments.

“We know that the enrollment at the university is larger than it was a decade ago,” Spina said. “I think the way the dean worked with the faculty to meet the needs of the student body is one of his legacies.”

He described Langford as a collaborative dean who “always had the best interests of the university and college in mind,” and continuously advocated for equality in education and research.

Spina said he will work with Chancellor-designate Kent Syverud and Arts and Sciences faculty in the new year to find Langford’s replacement.

Langford said the search process will be overseen by the provost’s office and will include a search committee. The Arts and Sciences faculty council will most likely meet with the provost and be given a document detailing the search process, he said.

Reflecting on his time as dean, Langford said he will also miss his interactions with many of the college’s department chairs and his colleagues in the dean’s office, saying they were “strong advocates” in all of his endeavors.

“It really has been a privilege to serve as dean,” Langford said. “I feel very fortunate to have had such wonderful people working with me, I’m sure they will continue to carry on the things we value in the college, which is a strong liberal arts education and a research active faculty.”